Orion 80 ShortTube OTA (09948)
The Orion ShortTube 80 Refractor Telescope Optical Tube Assembly is ideal for use as a dedicated guide scope for guided astrophotography pursuits. The fast f/5 achromatic optics provide a wide field of view that makes guide star acquisition a breeze. Its a-metal tube features a rack-and-pinion focuser with drawtube tension adjustment and a molded-in dovetail finder scope base that accepts optional Orion finder scopes. Weighing we under 3 lbs., the ShortTube 80 OTA can easily be added to virtually any astrophotography rig without exceeding your equatorial mount's payload capacity.
The ShortTube 80 OTA also excels as a wide-field visual telescope for exploring large swaths of the night sky or daytime vistas. Equip it with tube rings (sold separately) and pop the telescope onto an equatorial or altazimuth mount and you' be a set for astronomical or daytime terrestrial viewing.
You' love this refractor telescope's bright, expansive views. Its multi-coated 80mm achromatic objective lens and short 400mm focal length are perfect for scanning vast vistas. Add your favorite telescope eyepieces, correct-image or mirror diagonal, and finder scope or reflex sight (a sold separately) and you' have an instrument customized for adventure.
The ShortTube 80 Refractor Telescope Optical Tube Assembly measures 15" in length. Its fixed aluminum dew shield extends a full 3-1/4" out from the objective lens to prevent dew formation and block off-axis glare. Another nice feature: the eyepiece holding collar on the focuser drawtube has two thumbscrews to ensure secure lockdown of your guide camera or diagonal. The end of the collar is even threaded with male T2 threads to allow threaded attachment of a DSLR directly to the focuser (with proper T-ring) for photography.
- Compact, fast f/5 refractor optical tube assembly excels for use as a guide scope, or for wide-field observations
- Coupled with an autoguider camera (sold separately), the ST80 OTA makes guide star acquisition easy and efficient
- Multi-coated 80mm aperture, 400mm focal length achromatic optics are housed in an a-metal tube
- Its 1.25" aluminum rack-and-pinion focuser has excellent drawtube rigidity with ZERO flexure. Drawtube collar allows attachment of autoguider camera or accessories via their 1.25" nosepiece with dual thumbscrew lock-down or via direct, ultra-secure T-thread attachment.
- Sold as optical tube assembly only, without accessories
What's in the Box
- Optical Tube Assembly
|Optics Type||Air Spaced Doublet|
|Mount Type||Without Mount|
|Length of Optical Tube||15.0"|
|Weight of Optical Tube||2.7 lbs|