Orion 10.56" ID Full Aperture Solar Filter for 9.25" SCT (07782)
Who said you have to be in the dark to do astronomy? Turning your telescope to the Sun is fun and educational. Watch the march of giant sunspots, the clouds of glowing vapor in the photosphere, and solar "granulation" detail. But be sure to protect your precious vision with a safe Orion solar filter! Looking at the Sun without one, even for an instant, can permanently damage your eyes.
Superior to Film
These full-aperture optical glass telescope filters deliver superb views of the Sun, without risk to your eyes. While more expensive than black polymer film filters, Orion glass solar filters provide better contrast, a more natural yellow-orange color instead of blue, and their glass and aluminum construction is much more durable. They're ideal for photographing the Sun too!
The glass elements are machine-polished and triple-coated with an advanced nickel-chromium stainless steel alloy for a scratch-resistant surface. The filter passes only a fraction of the incoming light, rejecting harmful ultraviolet and infrared radiation.
Each Orion filter is mounted in an aluminum cell that slide-fits over the front of your telescope. Size listed is the ideal diameter of front of telescope; filter will fit diameters up to 1/4" smaller with foam tape liner supplied.
*WARNING! When using a truss tube Dobsonian telescope for solar observing, always use a Light Shroud and a properly sized solar filter. When you install the Light Shroud make certain there are no gaps between the Shroud and the telescope where direct sunlight can reach the telescope mirror. When a truss tube telescope (equipped with a solar filter but no Light Shroud) is pointing near (not at) the Sun, direct sunlight can hit the mirror and focus on the solar filter or other portions of the telescope. This can lead to eye injury or damage to the telescope. Using a Light Shroud protects your telescope from peripheral sunlight.
Before using any telescope for solar observing, make sure to install all dustcaps or other protective covers on all optical components such as finder scopes to keep sunlight from passing through them. Glancing through an uncovered optical system, even for an instant, can cause permanent eye damage. Always install protective caps on all optical instruments if left out during daylight hours.
- A must-have for safe observation of the Sun through a 9.25" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope (SCT) without damaging your eyes
- Full-aperture 10.56" inside-diameter filter fits snugly over the front of your telescope to block 99.999% of incoming sunlight
- Glass elements are machine-polished and triple-coated with nickel-chromium stainless steel
- Each Orion telescope solar filter is mounted in a foam-lined aluminum cell featuring three equidistant securing thumbscrews, 4x 1/16" thick adhesive foam tabs, and 4x 1/8" thick adhesive foam tabs for customized friction fit to your telescope
- Note: All Orion solar filters are designed for use with an adequate friction fit attachment. Thumbscrews should ONLY be used to keep filter securely in place once a friction fit has been achieved