Tele Vue DIOPTRIX (DRX)
Tele Vue DIOPTRIX (DRX)
Why Purchase from All-Star Telescope?
Free Expert Support
Whether you are a first timer needing help with setting up or an enthusiast that can't quite make that one thing work, our expert staff are ready to support your needs. With decades of knowledge and first hand experience we've been there and we can help you through it!
Stress Free, Secure Transactions
You can trust purchasing and delivery with All-Star Telescope. All of our transactions are 100% secure and Level 1 PCI DSS compliant thanks to Shopify's ShopPay platform. For additional protection, we insure 100% of the value of every shipment we make. If it get's lost during shipment, we replace it. If it gets damaged during shipment, we repalce it. We make sure your product arrives exactly as you would expect it to; we promise.
We also ensure privacy protection. We never keep any of your credit card information on file and any of your personal data is stored accordign to our policies.
30 Day Return Policy
Buy with confidence knowing that we accept returns up to 30 days after purchase. We want you to have something you will actually use and we are confident that we keep good quality products in our store with No Junk.
Price Match Promise
Shipping around for the best price is tough, we make it easier by offering the best pricing in the market. But if you find a better price on an in-store item somewhere else we will match it!
Got astigmatism? Get the "cure".
Your telescope's focuser is used to compensate for your near- or far-sightedness; DIOPTRX™ compensates for your astigmatism. These units attach and lock onto the tops of over 20 long eye-relief Tele Vue eyepieces to achieve the sharpest full-field viewing possible. DIOPTRX™ models are available in ¼ to 3½ diopter and are rotatable for tuning to the best orientation. A series of engraved letters on the barrel helps to monitor orientation. Simply choose the DIOPTRX™ model that matches your eyeglass prescription for astigmatism. All lenses are multi-coated glass in anodized aluminum housings with rubber eyeguards.
Benefits of using Dioptrx over eyeglasses
- 1. You're more likely to see a sharper, higher contrast image, because:
- A. The Dioptrx is always completely aligned to the eyepiece optics, eliminating aberrations from a decentered mismatch of eyeglass power and astigmatic axis.
- B. Dioptrx can be rotated to exactly compensate for the astigmatic axis angle in real time, since both head angle and age can vary your eyesight astigmatic angle.
- C. Dioptrx likely has better multi-coatings than eyeglasses, and certainly is better in transmission and reflection reduction than uncoated eyeglass.
- D. Dioptrx is more likely to be cleaner than eyeglasses, which may have scratches and smudges from constant use and wear and tear.
- E. Dioptrx allows seeing your normal maximum contrast that eyeglasses can diminish (remove your eyeglasses and see how contrast improves in normal vision).
- 2. You're more likely to see the full field in 100° Ethos eyepieces because your eyeglasses are more limiting in "effective eye-relief".
Al's Star Party Report
At Texas Star Party and RTMC Astronomy Expo in May and Cherry Springs Star Party in June (all 2005), I had the pleasure of evaluating over 100 subjects using our DIOPTRX™ astigmatism correctors to evaluate both the absolute performance and performance relative to their eyeglasses. I used a Tele Vue 60 with 60° diagonal and 32mm Plössl (5.3mm exit pupil) to view our DIOPTRX™ test chart. In a few cases, I was able to confirm the performance at night using a 35mm Panoptic and 12mm Nagler Type-4 on our TV NP-127 to view star clusters. Most subjects did not have their eyeglass prescriptions or know their eyesight astigmatism, but I have enough experience now to guess at a reasonable starting point in trying DIOPTRX™. Since we had 10 models it was easy for subjects to find their optimum values.
Following are some general conclusions:
- DIOPTRX™ always works at least as good as eyeglasses and mostly better.
- People who dislike using glasses and have astigmatism are most pleased.
- Some people are lucky enough to have no astigmatism and will not benefit from DIOPTRX™.
- I found many people using progressive eyeglasses, which by definition are horrendous for observing with telescopes or binoculars.
- Many people do not realize that they don't need their eyeglasses if they are near or farsighted and don't have astigmatism.
- Critical observers easily detect as little as ¼ diopter of astigmatism.
- DIOPTRX™ units can be stacked (one person had 5 diopters) to accommodate astigmatism.
- It is easy (and analogous to focusing) to "dial in" rotation of DIOPTRX™ for optimum correction. It is virtually intuitive.
- DIOPTRX™ units are very effective in binoviewers.
- Night tests seem to confirm no discrepancies with our daytime tests.
- Sharper stars and detection of fainter stars are clear benefits.
- Choosing DIOPTRX™ values based on eyeglass prescription is generally effective.
I was very gratified by the instant and positive unprompted reactions.