Celestron CGEM II Computerized Equatorial Mount and Tripod (91523)
Celestron CGEM II Computerized Equatorial Mount and Tripod (91523)
Products in the Same Family
Why Purchase from All-Star Telescope?
Free Expert Support
Whether you are a first timer needing help with setting up or an enthusiast that can't quite make that one thing work, our expert staff are ready to support your needs. With decades of knowledge and first hand experience we've been there and we can help you through it!
Stress Free, Secure Transactions
You can trust purchasing and delivery with All-Star Telescope. All of our transactions are 100% secure and Level 1 PCI DSS compliant thanks to Shopify's ShopPay platform. For additional protection, we insure 100% of the value of every shipment we make. If it get's lost during shipment, we replace it. If it gets damaged during shipment, we repalce it. We make sure your product arrives exactly as you would expect it to; we promise.
We also ensure privacy protection. We never keep any of your credit card information on file and any of your personal data is stored accordign to our policies.
30 Day Return Policy
Buy with confidence knowing that we accept returns up to 30 days after purchase. We want you to have something you will actually use and we are confident that we keep good quality products in our store with No Junk.
Price Match Promise
Shipping around for the best price is tough, we make it easier by offering the best pricing in the market. But if you find a better price on an in-store item somewhere else we will match it!
Celestron 12 lb Counterweight for 19mm sha...
Celestron Counterweight 11lbs for 19mm Sha...
Celestron Counterweight 17lbs for 19mm Sha...
A fresh update to the venerable CGEM mount, the CGEM II has a contemporary, attractive, bold appearance and is capable of carrying Celestron’s higher-end SCT optical tubes (up to 11") securely and vibration free, which is ideal for both imaging and visual observing. Capable of holding 40 lbs. of payload and slewing at 5° per second, you will be able to instantly point to any of the celestial objects in the database.
CGEM II was designed to be ergonomically friendly with large Altitude and Azimuth adjustment knobs for quick and easy polar alignment adjustment. The internal RA and DEC motor wiring provides a clean look and an easy and trouble free set up.
The CGEM II series features Celestron’s innovative All-Star Polar alignment procedure. All-Star allows you to accurately polar align the mount using any star, even if the celestial pole cannot be seen. Another great feature of the CGEM II sure to please astroimagers, is the Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PEC) which will allow users to train out the worm gears periodic errors, while the mount retains the PEC recordings.
For objects near the Meridian (imaginary line passing from North to South), the CGEM II will track well past the Meridian for uninterrupted imaging through the most ideal part of the sky. The CGEM II mount has a robust database with over 40,000 objects, 100 user defined programmable objects and enhanced information on over 200 objects. Celestron's CGEM II mount is the perfect fit between the Advanced VX Series and CGX Series.
Computerized Mount Features
- 40 lbs payload capacity
- Dual-fit Vixen/CG-5 and Losmandy/CGE dovetail saddle
- 2" steel legs with height index marks for quick levelling
- USB 2.0 port on hand control for direct links to a PC via ASCOM supported software.
- 40,000 object database with over 100 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- Internal cabling throughout for worry-free remote operation
- Low cog DC Servo motor with integrated optical encoders offer smooth, quiet operation
- Able to track past the meridian allowing seamless imaging
- Permanent periodic error corrections allow users to train out the worm gears periodic errors once, while the mount retains the PEC recordings.
- Software Features include: Mount Calibration, Database Filter Limits, Hibernate, five Alignment Procedures, and user-defined slew limits
- Built-in polar alignment program to polar align on any star in the sky
- Longer clutch levers to make tightening and loosening of clutches easier
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number
- Solar System alignment method allows to view the moon and planets during the day
- Custom Rate 9 feature allows to set maximum slew rate
- Tandem mode allows to star align the mount even when positioned for tandem scope use
- RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer
- Includes NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control of telescope via computer
- Precision machined 40 mm diameter steel Polar shafts supported by multiple tapered roller bearings and ball bearings
- GPS-compatible with optional SkySync GPS Accessory
What's in the Box
|Mount Type:||Computerized Equatorial|
|Instrument load capacity:||40 lbs (18 kg)|
|Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod):||1346mm - 1651mm (53" – 65")|
|Tripod Leg Diameter:||50.8mm (2") Steel tripod with graduated markings on lower section|
|Latitude adjustment range:||15° - 70°|
|Mount Head Weight:||40 lbs (18.14 kg)|
|Tripod Weight:||20 lbs (9 kg)|
|Weight of Counterweights:||1 x 17 lbs|
|Slew Speeds:||9 slew speeds - max speed 4.5°/second|
|Tracking Rates:||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|
|Tracking Modes:||EQ North and EQ South|
|Dovetail Compatibility:||Dual saddle plates (CG-5 and CGE saddle)|
|Number of Auxiliary Ports:||2 AUX Ports (1x Hand control Port and 1x AUX Port for optional accessories)|
|USB Port:||Yes, input on Hand Control|
|Power Requirements:||12V DC, 3.2 amps|
|Motor Drive:||DC servo motors|
|Alignment Procedures:||2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, Solar System Align, Last Alignment, Quick Align|
|Periodic Error Correction:||Yes|
|Computerized Hand Control:||2 line x 18 character backlit Liquid Crystal Display, 19 LED backlit buttons, USB 2.0 Port for PC connection|
|NexStar+ Database:||40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects Enhanced information on over 200 objects|
|Software:||Celestron Starry Night Special Edition Software | SkyPortal App|
|Total Kit Weight:||78 lbs (35.38 kg)|
I originally purchased this mount from All-Star as a replacement for my Celestron CG-5. It handled my 8" Newtonian extremely well even in windy conditions.
I added the Celestron Sky Portal wi-fi modular and paired it with Sky Safari on my iPad. The combination was so easy to use that within minutes my 10 year old granddaughter was running it like a boss giving sky tours at the Saskatchewan Summer Star Party at Cypress Hills.
I've since purchased an 8" RASA and afull suite of ZWO astrophotography gear. It all integrated easily. the 40 pound payload capacity handles all of this load easily with room to spare. Just for giggles I tried a 5 minute unguided exposure and was so amazed that there was zero star trails.
The one accessory that I recommend if this is going to be your travel mount is the appropriate Pelican case for the mount head. Also, it never hurts to add an extra counterweight depending on the weight of your 'scope and accessories.
I'm planning on buying another mount for a second rig that will not need the load capacity of the CGEM II, it will be a smaller scope so the AVX will fit the bill. Still, it's such a nice mount that when I order the AVX,I might just get the CGEM II again as this one has been such a pleasure to use and has run just fine in extreme cold.