For the serious astrophotographer seeking a fast astrograph with immense light-gathering prowess, our 10" f/4 Newtonian Reflector Astrograph should top your wish list. This imaging powerhouse reveals dim objects as astonishingly bright with just minimal exposure times of your DSLR or astronomical camera. Relative to premium refractors of even half its aperture, this 10" scope's affordable price makes it a terrific value.
Our 10" f/4 Newtonian Reflector Astrograph's 250mm (9.8") parabolic primary mirror is made of low-thermal-expansion BK7 glass, which is superior to standard soda-lime glass. The 1000mm focal length is ideal for framing a wide variety of celestial targets! The enhanced aluminum mirror finish has 92% to 95% reflectivity and is coated with a protective layer of SiO2 (quartz). The 88mm minor axis secondary mirror provides excellent full-field illumination with modern cameras, with minimal light drop-off at the edge of APS-C sized sensors. The rear cell features large collimation knobs and a built-in fan to speed cooling of the mirror (requires 8 AA batteries, not included). The mirror is center marked to aid in precise collimation, and a quick-collimation cap is included.
The machined 3" dual-speed (10:1) Crayford focuser boasts a linear bearing design, which adds rigidity to the drawtube to support heavier imaging loads. A steel reinforcing plate directly under the focuser eliminates flexure between it and the tube. The focuser's 2" collar accepts 2" accessories and comes with a 1.25" eyepiece adapter, both with non-marring compression ring clamps. A 2" extension adapter (35mm length) is included for visual observation.
Additional standard accessories include two cast aluminum tube rings, an 8x50 crosshair finder scope, and dust cap. As with any fast Newtonian, a coma corrector (sold separately) is recommended to achieve flat-field imaging performance. Backfocus distance is 92.4mm from the 2" drawtube collar. Weighs 33 lbs., 12 oz.
- Capture more photographic detail in less time with this fast f/4 imaging powerhouse
- The 10"-class parabolic primary mirror boasts enhanced aluminum coatings on primary and secondary mirror that provide >92% reflectivity
- Big 3" dual-speed linear bearing Crayford focuser is made of machined (not die-cast) aluminum and accepts both 2" and 1.25" accessories
- Accessories include an 8x50 finder scope, hinged tube rings, 2" extension adapter for visual use, and quick-collimation cap. A coma corrector (sold separately) is recommended for optimal flat-field performance.
- Super affordability compared to premium "apo" refractors with half the aperture of this astrophotographic dream scope
What's In the Box
- Orion 10" f/4 optical tube assembly
- 8x50 finder scope and bracket
- 12V cooling fan (installed)
- Pair of tube rings
- 2" extension adapter (35mm length)
- Quick-collimation cap
- Vixen-style dovetail mounting bar
- 2.5mm and 5mm Allen wrenches
|Best for viewing
||Fainter deep sky
|Best for imaging
|Lowest useful magnification
|Highest useful magnification
|Highest theoretical magnification
|Limiting stellar magnitude
||3" dual-speed linear bearing Crayford
|Secondary mirror obstruction
|Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter
|Secondary mirror obstruction by area
||Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
||Optical Tube without Mount
||Lunar, planetary & long exposure
|Length of optical tube
|Weight, optical tube
|Additional included accessories
- 12V cooling fan with battery pack (req. 8 AA)
- Pair of hinged, felt-lined tube rings
- 2" extension tube for visual use
- Center-marked primary mirror for collimation