Conquer coma and enjoy images with sharp stars across the entire field of view or photographic image frame in your fast Newtonian reflector with the Orion 2" Photo-Visual Coma Corrector.
The Orion 2" Photo-Visual Coma Corrector for Newtonians minimizes the coma inherent in fast Newtonian reflectors with focal ratios from f/3.5 to f/6. Coma appears as flared, comet-shaped stars and gets progressively worse farther out from the center of the field. This coma corrector greatly reduces this effect as well as the effects of field curvature, rendering sharp stars across the entire field of view or image frame. The 2" Photo-Visual Coma Corrector works for astrophotography as well as for visual observing with an eyepiece.
The optics are contained in a 2" nosepiece, which is threaded into the upper housing that features an eyepiece holder for 2" eyepieces. The eyepiece holder has a non-marring brass compression ring and two thumbscrews. The bottom of the nosepiece is threaded for Orion 2" filters. The third component is an M48-to-T2 (M42) adapter ring, which is useful when using the Coma Corrector for astrophotography.
For astrophotographic use, you unthread and set aside the upper housing and use only the optics-containing nosepiece. The Coma Corrector's back focus is about 75mm. For DSLR use you'll need a 20mm spacer ring (sold separately) to achieve proper image focus. For astronomical cameras additional spacing will be required, the amount of which can be determined by factoring in your camera's sensor position relative to its front flange.
For visual use some additional spacing may be required for certain eyepieces. Some users report that adding 0.75" (19mm) of spacing between the upper housing and optical nosepiece allowed perfect focus with their wide-field eyepieces.
The 2" Photo-Visual Coma Corrector produces a 1.1x magnifying factor. The optics are fully multi-coated for maximum light throughput. Weighs 11.3 oz, assembled. Instructions included.
Warranty note: Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase. This warranty is for the benefit of the original retail purchaser only. For complete warranty details contact us at 800-447-1001.
- Corrects coma and field curvature aberrations inherent in fast Newtonians from f/3.5 to f/6
- Enjoy sharp stars across the entire field of view of your camera's image frame or your eyepiece's field of view
- 2" coma corrector works for both visual use and for astrophotography with Newtonian reflectors; 1.1x magnification factor
- Fully multi-coated optics, and nosepiece is threaded to accept Orion 2" filters
- Backfocus is ~75mm, so spacer rings will be required for DSLR and astronomical camera use, as well as for some eyepieces to reach focus (spacer rings sold separately)
What's In the Box
- 2" Coma Corrector
- M48 to T2 adapter ring