Our 6" aperture imaging reflector is loaded with useful features to help you capture high-resolution images of the night sky. With very fast f/4 optics and 94% reflectivity coatings, the Orion 6" Newtonian Astrograph will help you acquire outstanding high-resolution images of deep-sky objects with delightfully short exposure times so you can get great results in less time. What's more, this compact imaging specialist is conveniently lightweight at just 12.7 lbs., so it doesn't require a huge mount to support it.
The rolled-steel Newtonian Reflector optical tube's 6"-aperture parabolic primary mirror measures 610mm in focal length, making the optically fast f/4 Astrograph a perfect choice for going after wide-field images of distant deep-space objects. Since the primary mirror is made of thermally stable B270 glass, it acclimates to ambient temperature more quickly than standard reflector telescopes. An oversized, 63mm minor axis secondary mirror provides excellent field illumination for DSLR and CCD cameras. Both primary and secondary mirrors boast enhanced reflectivity (94%) aluminum coatings to optimize contrast with a protective silicon dioxide (quartz) overcoat.
The 6" f/4 Newtonian Astrograph Reflector features a precise, 2" dual-speed (10:1) linear-bearing Crayford focuser which lies 7" back from the front of the 22.5" long optical tube. This recessed focuser position helps maximize contrast by blocking stray off-axis light for high-resolution performance. The super-steady linear-bearing Crayford focuser design will hold heavy imaging payloads without slippage. For consistent results every night, an Orion-exclusive steel reinforcing plate underneath the focuser eliminates flexure, even with heavy cameras and other imaging gear attached. A 2" compression ring collar and 1.25" compression adapter keep inserted cameras and accessories secure without scratching.
Of course, the 6" f/4 Newtonian Astrograph can also be used for spectacular visual observations of deep-sky and solar system based celestial objects. An included 2" diameter extension tube adds 1.38" (35mm) of length to the focuser for visual use. The reflector's 6" aperture and fast focal ratio will amaze you with high-contrast views of the cosmos.
A pair of hinged, die-cast aluminum tube rings with felt lining are included, which each have flat bosses on the top and bottom featuring M6 threaded sockets for easy attachment of the included Vixen-style mounting bar and additional imaging accessories. An 8x50 straight crosshair finder scope with dovetail bracket and snap-on dust cap are also included.
As with any fast Newtonian reflector telescope, an optional coma corrector is recommended to eliminate inherent coma for optimized imaging performance.
- Fast 6"-aperture reflector lets you take short exposures with bright, high-resolution results
- Precise 2" dual-speed (10:1) linear-bearing Crayford focuser lies 7" back in the optical tube to block stray light and boost contrast
- Orion-exclusive steel reinforcement plate under focuser eliminates flexure with heavy imaging gear attached
- Compact 22.5" length and light 12.7 lb. assembled weight doesn't require an enormous mount
- Includes two heavy-duty hinged tube rings, 8x50 finder scope, dovetail mounting bar, and more
What's In the Box
- Orion 6" f/4 Newtonian Astrograph Reflector Telescope OTA
- Pair of hinged tube rings
- 8x50 finder scope and bracket
- 2" extension tube for visual use
- Narrow Vixen-style dovetail mounting bar
- Dust cap
- Starry Night SE astronomy software digital download insert
|Best for viewing
||Brighter deep sky
|Best for imaging
||Low thermal expansion glass
|Lowest useful magnification
|Highest useful magnification
|Highest theoretical magnification
|Limiting stellar magnitude
||2" dual-speed linear bearing Crayford
|Secondary mirror obstruction
|Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter
|Secondary mirror obstruction by area
||Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
||Optical Tube without Mount
||Lunar, planetary & long exposure
|Length of optical tube
|Weight, optical tube
|Additional included accessories
- Pair of hinged tube rings
- 2" extension tube
- 13" Vixen-type dovetail bar
- 8 x 50 finder
- Dust cover
- Steel reinforcing plate under focuser
- Oversized secondary mirror for fully illuminated field
- Extended length front tube to block ambient light