Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro Mount
All Star Telescope's Take
The Sky-Watcher EQ6-R (S30300) is a benchmark product. They have a great payload capacity of 44lbs, they're easy to set up, they work seamlessly with great products from QHYCCD and ZWO, and they have a history of being incredibly reliable. The mount includes advanced features like periodic error correction, for advanced astrophotography. If you're looking for the best mount for astrophotography this should be on your short list. We regularly keep the EQ6-R in stock and ship to Canada and the rest of the world from our warehouse in Edmonton.
Sky-Watcher does a great job of included any necessary accessories with their produts and the EQ6-R Pro is no exception. A retractable counterweight bar is supplied, allowing for easier transportation. Also, two 11-pound counterweights are included to help balance any payload. The EQ6-R Pro saddle is compatible with both wide D- and narrow V-style mounting plates, making it easy to use different optical tubes even if they don't use the same mounting hardware.
That said, there are a few items that we find really helpful:
1. The Sky-Watcher AC adapter makes it really easy to power your mount when you're at home.
2. The Celestron Lithium Iron Phosphate rechargeable battery pack makes it easy to power your mount when you're away from home.
3. The Sky-Watcher SyncScan wifi adapter sets up a wifi hotspot so that you can control your mount with the excellent (and free) SyncScan app on your phone or tablet.
4. If you're looking to vastly simplify and improve your polar alignment, consider the QHYCCD Polemaster.
There are other accessories including GPS modules, carrying cases, additional counterweights, pier extensions, etc. all of which can help to tailor the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro to your exact requirements.
Summary of the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro Mount
- Massive 44-pound payload capacity support guiders, filters, cameras, and more
- Equatorial GoTo mount with built-in USB PC control
- Belt drives provide minimal backlash and significantly reduced periodic error while remaining whisper quiet
- Stepper motors have no internal gear box, further reducing backlash
- SNAP port eliminates the need for remote shutter release cable
- Autoguide port compatible with most of today’s best autoguiders
- Sturdy carry handle to ensure safe and easy set-up
What's in the Box
- Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro Equatorial Mount
- D/V saddle plate to handle a wide variety of OTAs
- Built-in illuminated polar scope is factory aligned to the mount's center axis and best accuracy right out of the box
- 42,000+ object data base
- Retractable counterweight bar for easy stowage
- Steel tripod for rock-solid performance
- DC power cord included
- Two 11-pound counterweights
An Astrophotography Powerhouse
The SkyWatcher EQ6-R boasts a plethora of features to support astrophotographers in their craft. The built-in ST-4 autoguider port turns this mount into an astrophotography powerhouse, allowing you to use most of today’s best autoguiders. Using the supplied USB-B cable, you can control the telescope from your computer and take advantage of today’s most advanced astronomy software. With a weight capacity of 44 pounds, the EQ6-R can handily support an optical tube, imaging accessories, and camera.
Silent Yet Precise Slewing
The EQ6-R Pro uses stepper motors with a 1.8° step angle and 64 micro steps driven. Stepper motors are quieter than servo motors, providing accuracy up to 1 arc minute without waking your neighbors to the tune of buzzing motors.
Periodic Error Correction
Periodic tracking error is present in all equatorial telescope mounts, and is due to the design of the internal gears. The Sky-Watcher EQ6-R includes a periodic error correction (PEC) function to help correct this. We strongly recommend taking the time to properly balance and polar align the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R before delving into advanced features like PEC.
42,000+ Object Database
Using our proprietary SynScan hand controller, the EQ6-R Pro provides a user-friendly interface with automatic slewing to over 42,000+ objects in the night sky. The hand controller can also connect to a computer using the supplied USB-B cable, enabling computer control with most astronomy programs. For the astrophotographers looking to reduce periodic error, the SynScan hand controller has built in PEC training that can be configured while in the field!
Flexible Polar Alignment
Sky-Watcher includes an illuminated polar scope to aid the polar alignment process. The polar scope features a circular grid reticle for the Northern Hemisphere, consistent with today’s popular polar alignment apps. For astronomers in the Southern Hemisphere, the constellation Octans is built into the reticle as well. Even without a clear view of Polaris, the EQ6-R Pro can be polar aligned using our SynScan hand controller. Simply choose one of the visible stars listed and use the latitude adjustment screws to center it in the eyepiece.
|General Mount Info
|Payload Capacity (lbs)
|Mount Head Weight (lbs)
|Tripod Weight (lbs)
|Fully Assembled Weight (w/ weights)
|Tripod Leg Diameter
|Mounting Saddle Type
||12V (4 amp minimum)
|Latitude Range (degrees)
|Computer/Drive System Info
||Optional WiFi dongle
|Polar Align Assist
|PC Direct Connect Port
|Permanent Periodic Correction
Why buy from All-Star Telescope
We like to say that we’re the biggest astronomy shop in Canada, which is a little like bragging about being the tallest dwarf. The reality is that we’re a small, Canadian owned, family run business.
We hold a large volume of inventory in our Edmonton warehouse, and ship daily. We ship to the USA and globally, and it's worth noting that there is no duty on telescopes and accessories between Canada and the United States.
We work to have the best selection of astronomy and astrophotography in Canada. We are enthusiasts and work to help others enjoy the hobby that we love so much. We're always interested in helping, reach out with any questions.