Some of the most picturesque celestial objects are too large to fit in the field of view of an imaging refractor and camera. What's more, most deep space objects are very faint and therefore challenging to image without taking long exposures. The Orion 0.8x Focal Reducer for Refractors, designed for photographic use only, addresses these obstacles by increasing your refractor telescope's field of view while reducing the effective focal length by a factor of 0.8x, thereby providing a more optically "fast" focal ratio to increase astrophotography efficiency.
Using the 0.8x focal reducer provides a larger field of view and enables capture of vividly detailed astrophotos in less time. What's more, it flattens the field, correcting for field curvature to improve star sharpness at the edge of the frame.
We've upgraded the design to accommodate interchangeable thread-on camera adapters. We include both male M42 (standard T thread) and M48 (wide T thread) camera adapters. The M48 adapter is recommended for use with full-frame camera sensors. Depending on which adapter you use, you will need the corresponding T-ring (M42 or M48) for your specific camera model (sold separately).Both adapters come with a thread-on aluminum dust cap.
The Orion 0.8x Imaging Focal Reducer's fully multi-coated, 38mm clear aperture optics are housed in a machined, anodized aluminum body. Internal glare-threads provide maximum image contrast and brightness. It's compatible with refractors equipped with a 2" focuser, and requires 55mm of backfocus. When used with a DSLR and appropriate T-ring, you will not require any additional spacers. For use with an astronomical CCD or CMOS camera with less backfocus, you will need one or more spacer rings to achieve the 55mm distance between the Reducer and your camera's sensor.
You can further enhance your astrophotos by using 2" imaging filters with the Orion 0.8x Imaging Focal Reducer since its barrel is threaded for use with 2" filters.
Note: Unit weighs 6.2 oz.
- Reduces an astrophotography refractor's effective focal length by a factor of 0.8x, providing a shorter, more optically fast focal ratio
- Now includes interchangeable male M42 and M48 "wide" thread-on camera adapters (T-ring for your camera sold separately)
- Also flattens the field for sharper stars at the edge of the frame
- Enables a refractor to both acquire a larger field of view and to capture bright, detailed astrophotos in considerably less time
- Features fully multi-coated, 38mm clear aperture optics in a machined and anodized aluminum body with 2" barrel threaded for Orion filters